AADA Legislative Conference Overview
The Legislative Conference is the largest advocacy gathering of dermatologists and patient advocates in the country. The conference serves as an opportunity to discuss the issues facing our specialty and patients, and present them to Congress in a unified voice.
The Conference offers a unique blend of didactic and interactive advocacy sessions, political debates and the opportunity to directly lobby your Members of Congress. Conference attendees learn about critical health policy issues from national health policy experts, political insiders and AADA advocacy leaders. However, the most powerful aspect of the Conference is your ability to advocate on behalf of the patients you represent. With patient access to quality health care being a top priority for the AADA, we want to ensure patients’ personal stories are being heard on Capitol Hill.
- A total of two representatives from each member organization are invited to attend the Conference - this includes patients and/or staff
- We encourage your organization to invite a patient, as the AADA is looking to secure patients who are willing to advocate with conference attendees
Hotel and Travel
- The AADA will provide 3-nights hotel stay (Check-in: Saturday, Sept. 9th, Check-out: Tuesday Sept. 12th) at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center for two designated representatives from each organization
- Additional nights at the hotel may be booked, based on availability, but will not be covered by the AADA
- All hotel arrangements are made by AADA staff, based on information included on the registration form.
- Hotel confirmations will be sent by AADA staff two weeks prior to the meeting
- A credit card deposit will be required upon check in for incidentals
- The AADA will cover travel expenses for two designated representatives from each organization.
- Flight reservations can be made through the AADA travel website or on your own and submitted for reimbursement following the conference
- You will need to arrange for ground transportation to and from the airport to the Marriott Metro Center. These expenses will be reimbursed to you after the conference. Transportation to Capital Hill will be provided.
The Academy’s new official travel agency is Fox World Travel. If this is your first time using Fox Travel please click here and set up a profile. Allow 24 hours for profiles to be accepted, you will receive an email when it is approved.
Once in the Concur booking system, www.concursolutions.com when prompted, you will need to enter the Cost Center Code for the 2017 Legislative Conference 03-75-3536002-000. Be sure to follow through all the confirmation pages until you see Finished! at the top of your screen.
Travel reservations made through Fox World Travel will be billed directly to the Academy. Upon confirmation of your purchase you will receive an e-ticket confirmation via email.
CSD Development Day - September 9th
The CSD Development Day will begin with a dinner on Saturday, September 9 th at 7:00 p.m. The CSD Development Day program will be on Sunday, September 10 th from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Legislative Conference will begin on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 10th and will adjourn by 4PM on Tuesday, Sept. 12th. AADA staff is in the process of developing comprehensive and effective sessions for the 2017 Conference. The program will contain break-out groups that will involve discussions and hands-on training from outside professionals, AADA staff, and experienced member advocates which focuses on providing education on the “legislative asks.” Additionally, as in 2016, we’d like the program to focus on issues impacting dermatologist and patients.
- There will also be a dinner on Monday, September 11th at 7:00 p.m.for the CSD members and their patient advocates.
Capitol Hill Meeting Day
- On the final day of the Conference, attendees will meet with their members of Congress, with a small group of attendees from their home state.
- Capitol Hill meetings are scheduled by an outside consultant and schedules for those meetings will not be available until the week before the meeting, via email.
- Understanding that flights will be booked in advance, we encourage attendees to book their flight after no earlier than 2 PM (EST) on Tuesday. If for some reason your flight is scheduled before a meeting on Tuesday, our consultants will do their best to reschedule, but cannot guarantee changes.